When it is time for active duty to PCS away from a command, the medical and dental facilities have the responsibility to release the records and make sure a number of the following steps are completed.
- Verify medical and dental records.
- If there are no records available, they must make a new record according to the appropriate methods detailed in MANMED. If reconstruction of dental records is necessary, the dentist needs to perform a T-2 dental exam.
- Make sure the active duty is processed for transfer.
- Fill out and complete the record charge-out card.
- Give the active duty member his or her records to hand carry. The command also has the option to forward the medical and dental records via certified mail along with a DD Form 877 which is a Request for Medical/Dental Records Information or place medical and dental records in the custody of another authorized personnel.