When was the Naval Medical Supply Depot constructed?
The Naval Medical Supply Depot in Brooklyn, New York, was constructed in 1850 by the United States Navy. As early as 1853, Congress gave the green light for a separate industrial laboratory to provide medical supplies for the Navy’s medical department. NMSD Brooklyn was handed over to BS&A in July of 1952. It had been 100 years since the Navy Medical Department had been directly involved in the production, storage, or distribution of medical supplies from a central location.
Which organization was in charge of all supply and commodities?
The Department of Defense would be in charge of all supply and commodities (DoD).
We have had great success with the DoD unified supply system, and we are grateful for it. Medical logisticians are constantly looking for better ways to buy, store, and distribute medical and dental supplies due to budget and personnel constraints.
The future of Medical Logistics Department
To this day, the local Medical Logistics Department continues to offer facilities with entire logistic support, utilizing all components of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP), and Naval Medical Logistics Command (NAVMEDLOGCOM).